Work with us
Senior Sustainability Research Analyst
Senior Sustainability Research Analyst
Location: Cairo, Egypt Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: Senior Duration of Initial Contract: One Year, renewable
The objective of the assignment is to support a cost-effective development of the small-scale renewable energy projects with focus on MRV methodology in Egypt.For this assignment Egypt has prioritized for MRV to focus small scale Solar PV, wind and hydro projects either on-grid and off-grid and Solar Water Heaters. The MRV should cover both GHG and non-GHGs.
The objective of the assignment is to support a cost-effective development of the small-scale renewable energy projects with focus on MRV methodology in Egypt.
For this assignment Egypt has prioritized for MRV to focus small scale Solar PV, wind and hydro projects either on-grid and off-grid and Solar Water Heaters. The MRV should cover both GHG and non-GHGs.
For small scale RE project based on the monitoring plan the monitoring report format and verification report format should be developed.
Furthermore, a focus is to evaluate whether a programmatic approach for small scale RE projects is suitable in Egypt when setting up the MRV system and implementing specific projects.
The overall purpose of having a small-scale Renewable Energy (RE) MRV is fourfold:
- to be able to report the green development of Egypt as part of the UNFCCC reporting requirement.
- to have an option to have the CO2 emission as part of the national ETS system or under the Article 6 of the Paris Agreement
- to have an overview of the implementation and impact of the measure in Egypt to speed up the implementation of RE project through private sector involvement
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager the consultant should prepare three RE methodologies considering:
- Small scale Solar PV, wind and hydro projects – off-grid;
- Small scale Solar PV, wind and hydro projects – on-grid;
- Solar Water Heaters – off-grid.
Each methodology should include the monitoring plan which is to be an integrated part of the development CO2 reducing projects and following issues related to the monitoring and should consider:
- the monitoring report format and verification report format which should be developed for small scale RE to support a uniform and easy administration.
- the programmatic approach for easier and less costly administration. The programmatic approach, which is an approach where smaller projects can be included into a larger project. Only the first smaller project needs to be included when the project document is presented, and the following smaller projects can be included with a simplified administration. In this context it can also be considered to have a simplified validation and verification of the monitoring plan/report, for instance it can be considered not to require that all smaller projects, like each solar water heaters, need to be visited.
This assignment will be an international consultant who will work closely with a national one appointed through a separate contract. The international consultant shall prepare TOR for the national consultant.
The assignment will require close cooperation with Kazakhstan stakeholders to secure the in-depth understanding and to facilitate consensus of the results of this assignment.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Ability to interact effectively communicating and working with multi-stakeholders, including high-level government officials, development partners, academics, private sector and communities.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and experience in preparing technical and/or policy-relevant reports and papers; and excellent presentation skills and experience in conducting stakeholders’ consultations.
- Team-oriented with the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Good communication skills and ability to cooperate
Required Skills and Experience:
- At least Master’s degree in the field of environment, engineering, energy saving, energy efficiency, natural science or a closely related field.
- Minimum ten (3) years of experience in designing and implementing technical assistance projects in energy, preferably in renewable energy area;
- Experience with small-scale renewable energy projects, policies, technologies,
- Experience from projects covering MRV and in the design and operation of MRV frameworks of mitigation actions including for international donor-funded projects.
- At least five (1) year of experience with international RE MRV methodology development.
- Experience with project planning and consulting, including the effective provision of substantive leadership and guidance, oversight, monitoring and reporting.
- Fluent working knowledge of Arabic and English .
Recommended Presentation of application:
a) A duly drafted Candidate’s letter confirming interest and readiness for the assignment; Financial proposal, including the fixed total Expected Salary,
b) Detailed personal CV, where previous work experience in similar projects should be included, as well as contact details (email and phone number) of the Candidate.
c) Other documents certifying the work experience, expertise, education and skills (qualification improvement certificates\diplomas, awards, etc.);
d) Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment